Sunday, 18 October 2009

TiaChica's Orange Spice Mead

I was fortunate enough to get three carboys/demijohns off freecycle. And the decision was quickly made to try some mead to have it ready for its bottling at christmas.

And this is what I did 16-10-09

Sterilized the carboy, plug and bubbler with Milton.
Rinsed them.

Boiled some water and poured into a pot.
I then added:
2 thin slices of fresh ginger,
2cm cinnamon stick
pinch of saffron threads
1 clove
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of allspice
30 raisins
zest of one orange
fillets of one orange
3.5lbs of honey

I gently heated this for 20mins, stirring continously, then cooled it down.
Rinsed the carboy, bubbler and plug in the meantime.
Got wine yeast started with a teaspoon of sugar in lukewarm water.
poured the honey mixture into the carboy, topped up with cold water, leaving some space in the top, to be filled when fermenting slowed down a bit.
Added the yeast mixture. Shook the carboy. Placed plug and bubbler.
And now I am waiting anxiously to see if something happens.
Below are two pics, one before and one after shaking. Ignore the dinner in the background.




Within an hour the brew started slowly bubbling, up to 7seconds by the next morning. Since it didn't explode I filled it up to the shoulders with boiled, cooled water.
Another 24 hrs and a tiny bit of marmite as yeast nutrient got the bubbles up to 3 s.
We are all fascinated by the bubbles.

It will ned to stay in the carboy until beginning to clear and a definite sludge at the bottom of the carboy. That could be within the next 4 weeks, but I might leave it till christmas. Not sure yet.

1 comment: